These are some of the reasons Ontario needs Better Care Faster:
- Ontario's population will grow by 34.4% between 2010 and 2036. 1
- In 10 years, almost one in five Ontarians will be over 65, an increase of 37.5% since 2005. 2
- Almost 80% of Ontarians over 45 have a chronic condition. 3
- High blood pressure, diabetes and obesity are on the rise among younger adults in Ontario. 4
- By 2016, there will be 1 million more Canadians with diabetes than in 2000. 5
- 40% of women and 45% of men in Canada will develop cancer at some point in their lives. 6
- The number on Ontarians living with a serious lung disease is expected to grow by an alarming 50% to 3.6 million in the next 30 years. 7
- In 2016, the number of Ontarians with dementia will have increased by 33% since 2006. 8
1 Ontario Ministry of Finance. Ontario Population Projections Update 2010-2036. Queen's Printer for Ontario. Spring 2011.
2 Heart and Stroke Foundation. A Perfect Storm: 2010 Heart and Stroke Foundation Annual Report on Canadians' Health. January 2010
3 Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-term Care website.
4 Heart and Stroke Foundation. A Perfect Storm: 2010 Heart and Stroke Foundation Annual Report on Canadians' Health. January 2010
5 Canadian Journal of Diabetes. "The Projection of Prevalence and Cost of Diabetes in Canada: 2000 to 2016". 2004. 28(2):00-00.
6 Canadian Cancer Society, Public Health Agency of Canada, and Statistics Canada. Canadian Cancer Statistics 2009.
7 Ontario Lung Association. Your Lungs, Your Life: Insights & Solutions to Lung Health in Ontario. 2011
8 Alzheimer Society of Ontario. Projected Prevalence of Dementia: Ontario's Local Integrated Heath Networks. April 2007.